TETON Sports Scout 3400 is a hiking backpack made from Teton Sports, a well-respected brand in the hiking/outdoor industry. There’s a lot of interesting stuff going on with this hiking bag. If you’re looking for a TETON Sports Scout 3400 hiking backpack review, then you have come to the right place. This article is going to put the Scout 3400 in the spotlight. We will discuss its features, pros, and cons. Without further delay, let’s get started.
- 1 The great thing about the Scout 3400 is it’s jam-packed with features
- 2 In-Depth Look
- 3 FAQ
- 4 Conclusion
The great thing about the Scout 3400 is it’s jam-packed with features
This hiking backpack comes with a compact internal frame.
- It holds a total capacity of 55 liters or 3400 in.³.
- The backpack comes with height-adjustable straps to accommodate individuals with varying torso lengths.
- Multiple compartments, including zippered pockets, sleeping bag compartment, and main compartment.
- The backpack comes with an attached rain fly
- This hiking is backpack compatible with most hydration systems in the market.
For a hiking backpack, the TETON Sports Scout 3400 is surprisingly very spacious. Furthermore, carrying this backpack is relatively comfortable even with a full load. This hiking backpack is also designed to endure the elements and all weather conditions. It features a rain fly and a rain fly apartment to house it.
A hiking backpack is technically designed in such a way that you will be able to maximize carrying capacity with its strategically located compartments and pockets. The advertised capacity is about 3400 in.³. However, if you factor in all the load that can be carried in these compartments and pockets, the total capacity can easily go over the advertised full load.
The TETON Sports Scout 3400 is not only built maximum capacity, but it is also built for maximum comfort. The backpack features adjustable straps so it will perfectly fit regardless of your height. The straps are also padded in the right location, providing a great deal of comfort. The overall shape is rigid, thus it is unlikely to crunch or dig-in to your back and shoulders when you carry it.
The Scout 3400 is built with convenience in mind. This hiking backpack features two access points when it comes to accessing items on the main compartment. The first access point is at the top of the hiking bag, and the second is at the bottom. With this kind of system, you will be able to access items on the bottom part of the bag without having to unload everything.
Compartment For Essentials
The backpack features a hood with a large compartment. It is designed not only to keep essential items but also for quick access if you need them. You can also find a large compartment under the hood which is good for keeping paperwork or documents such as maps.
Hydration Pack Compartment
The TETON Sports Scout 3400 comes with a water bladder compartment. You can find a hydration tube exit at the top rear side of the backpack. This will enable you to hydrate yourself over the shoulder for convenience. The straps of the Scout 3400 come with a fastener so you can latch the tube whenever you are not using it, preventing it from flapping around when you’re walking.
Sleeping Bag Compartment
The Scout 3400 also comes with a separate sleeping bag compartment and it is found in the bottom part of the backpack. The extra compartment comes in handy so you will be able to store a sleeping bag easily and conveniently. When it’s time to rest, you do not have to open the main compartment since the sleeping bag has its own specific compartment. When it’s time to go, simply fold your sleeping bag, fit it in its sleeping bag compartment, and you’re done and ready.
- Capacity: 55 Liters
- Dimensions (filled): 30″ x 17″ x 12″ (76.2 x 43 x 30.5 cm)
- Torso Length Adjustment: 15″ – 19.5″ (38 – 49.5 cm)
- Pack Weight (unfilled): 4.5 lbs (2 kg)
- Sleeping Bag Compartment Size: 14” x 8” x 8” (35.5 x 20 x 20 cm)
- Color Options: Mecca Orange | Hunter Green | Tan
- Warranty: Lifetime warranty
- Very comfortable.
- Very big and spacious (can fit 4 person tent)
- Lots of pockets for storage
- Durable constructions thanks to its dual aluminum contoured waist, as well as lumbar and shoulder pads.
- To easily accommodate any torso size, there are great height-adjustable shoulder straps.
- Sleeping bag compartment for easier organization of your necessities.
- Its attached rain fly is easily compatible with most hydration systems.
- Although its size, this backpack is pretty lightweight.
- Comes with a lot of compartments and pockets for maximum load and storage.
- Price is just about right for the value it provides.
- Durable and may last for years under proper care.
- The multiple pockets and compartments may cause confusion.
- Some find the sleeping bag compartment too small.
Q1:Can this backpack be carried on the airplane?
A: Not anymore. Airlines want their baggage fees and more are sticking to the 22″x14″x9″ as a maximum carry-on. This is not even close.
Q2:Dose this comes with a water bladder
A: The interior pocket can accommodate up to a 3l bladder. But be warned, the slot is not really padded so you *will* feel the bladder against your back, and adding a full 3l bladder does take away some interior space.
Q3:Could this be a carry-on bag for a flight?
A: I measured it against the typical black carry-on bag that you normally see and it is the same size both in height and width. It would also depend, I suppose on how much you stuff in it. But I would venture to say your safe taking it as a carry-on.
Q4:Does that includes the pack cover?
A: Yes, The pack cover is on the very bottom in a zipper compartment. Just be careful the zipper can come off if you do not take a small pair of pliers and gently squeeze where the zipper connects to the ring that holds the zipper puller on.
Q5: Is it waterproof?
A: No, but it does come with a rainfly that covers the bag from excess moisture and water.
If you are looking for beginner to mid-entry hiking backpacks, the TETON Sports Scout 3400 is a great choice. It offers great value when it comes to storage and comfort. It is durable and built to be resilient against all weather conditions. All in all, the Scout 3400 is a great quality hiking backpack that comes with great value. It is definitely worth checking.